Subject: FWD: Netscape & Criterion Partner
From: [email-masked] (Fernando Martins)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 10:42:45 -0800

Hi! Maybe someone is interested in this kind of stuff...

--------- START OF FORWARDED MESSAGE ---------

For Immediate Release
Contacts:

Netscape Communications Corporation
Rosanne Siino 415-528-2619
[email-masked]

Criterion Software Ltd.
Maria Johnson +44-1483-406221
[email-masked]

NETSCAPE AND CRITERION CO-OPERATE ON INTEGRATING RICH 3D GRAPHICS
               INTO NETSCAPE SOFTWARE PLATFORM

 Netscape Licenses Criterion's RenderWare for Live3D Extensions;
 Agree co-operation in support of "Moving Worlds" VRML 2.0 proposal.

 MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., (February 21, 1996) -- Netscape Communications
Corporation (NASDAQ: NSCP) and Criterion Software (Guildford, UK),
a division of Canon, in a move that promises to bring interactive
3D worlds to millions of desktops, today announced an agreement that
licenses Netscape to use RenderWare  as the core real-time 3D rendering
technology for Netscape's Live3D extensions for Netscape Navigator  2.0.

Netscape and Criterion have also agreed to co-operate in support of
the "Moving Worlds" next generation VRML 2.0 proposal.

Criterion's RenderWare, the most widely supported interactive
3D graphics API for PCs, delivers stunning 3D graphics performance
on out-of-the-box PCs without the need for 3D hardware acceleration, and is
poised to reach even higher levels of performance when used in conjunction
with the low-cost 3D hardware accelerators that are just starting to reach
the market. Through Live3D, RenderWare's world leading 3D graphics
performance is now available to Netscape Navigator  2.0 users and
developers.

Netscape Live3D extensions for Netscape Navigator 2.0, combine VRML viewing
technology and powerful 3D extensions to Java, JavaScript and Netscape's
plug-in application programming interfaces (APIs). Live3D, which brings 3D
capabilities to the Netscape Navigator 2.0 client software, allows
developers to write 3D applications immediately using the new APIs and
enables Netscape Navigator users to experience live 3D Internet content.
Netscape plans to integrate Live3D technology into future versions of its
highly popular Netscape Navigator.

"Netscape's Live3D will transform the way users interact with
the Internet by providing a real-time 3D visual environment that will raise
the experience to new levels of realism, comprehension and interactively,"
said David Lau-Kee, President of Criterion Software.
"With Live3D, a new approach has emerged which brings a fundamental
qualitative improvement to the way people will use the Internet.  We are
proud to have contributed to this improvement."

"RenderWare's un-surpassed speed, robustness, functionality and
quality makes it a perfect fit for Netscape" said Alex Edelstein,
Netscape's Senior Product Manager for Netscape Navigator.  We're only
interested in 'best of breed' technologies for our products, and RenderWare
fits the bill."

Netscape Communications Corporation is a premier provider of open software
for linking people and information over enterprise networks and the
Internet. The company offers a full line of Netscape Navigator clients,
servers, development tools, and Netscape Internet Applications  to create a
complete platform for next-generation, live online applications.  Traded on
Nasdaq under the symbol "NSCP." Netscape Communications Corporation is
based in Mountain View, California.
    Additional information on Netscape Communications Corporation is
available on the Internet at http://home.netscape.com, by sending email to
[email-masked] or by calling 415-528-2555.

Criterion Software Ltd., a subsidiary of Canon Inc. (Tokyo, Japan), is the
leader in interactive 3D graphics software tools for personal computers.
Criterion develops, markets and supports computer software products and
technologies that expand the interactive 3D graphics frontiers on the
desktop. The company licenses its products and technology to major
developers world-wide through its offices in Guildford England and Tokyo
Japan. Additional information on Criterion Software is available on the
Internet at http://www.csl.com/csl

Netscape Communications, the Netscape Communications logo, Netscape,
Netscape Navigator, Netscape Live3D, Live3D and Netscape Internet
Applications are trademarks of Netscape Communications Corporation.
Criterion and the Criterion logo are trademarks of Criterion Software
Ltd. RenderWare is a registered trademark of Canon Inc.  All other names
are the property of their respective owners.

---------- END OF FORWARDED MESSAGE ----------